My weight fluctuated all through adolescence, and I struggled off and on all through my adult life.
HOW DID YOUR WEIGHT AFFECT ANY ASPECT(S) OF YOUR LIFE? I felt awful. I got winded doing the simplest of tasks. I felt like a failure as a wife and mom. My husband took our kids out for fun outdoor activities while I sat and watched.
WHAT WAS THE “TURNING POINT” THAT GOT YOU STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY? I had suffered with IBS for years, and two years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I had also developed hypothyroidism. I hit my heaviest weight, and I felt horrible.
HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?
My endocrinologist recommended I try a gluten free diet, since emerging research shows a connection between gluten and thyroid conditions. She also suggested I see a gastroenterologist, who discovered that I have a wheat and corn gluten sensitivity.
HOW LONG AFTER YOU STARTED DID YOU BEGIN TO SEE RESULTS OF YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS? After removing gluten from my diet, the weight literally started to fall off! My joints felt better, my fibromyalgia symptoms disappeared, and after a few months, I was able to discontinue my thyroid medication!
WHAT WAS THE HARDEST PART? Gluten is in everything! It’s in sauces, dressings, and even lipstick! I also found that I’m sensitive to other grains besides wheat and corn, so I now follow a mostly grain free diet.
DID YOU EVER WANT TO GIVE UP? WHAT KEPT YOU GOING? I can honestly say that quitting has never been an option for me. I was literally fighting for my life.
HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LOSE MOST OF THE WEIGHT? I lost the weight over the course of a year.
DID YOU HAVE ANY NON-SCALE VICTORIES? I finished my first 5k a couple of months ago!
WHAT DOES YOUR DAILY DIET LOOK LIKE COMPARED TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? I loved pasta, pizza, biscuits and gravy….all of those gluten laden foods. Now I eat lean protein, healthy fats, and all the fruits and veggies I can hold!
HOW DOES YOUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COMPARE TO WHEN YOU WERE HEAVIER? Walking used to be a struggle. My joints would hurt and swell so much that walking upstairs was a struggle. Now, I weight train three days a week, run two days a week, and have energy through the roof!
MY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS & TRICKS
- See your doctor! Make sure you don’t have an underlying medical condition that could be making you sick.
- Find a support system! My husband is my biggest cheerleader. Surround yourself with people who will support you through your journey.
- Remember that it’s about health and fitness, not necessarily the number on the scale. Goal weights are fine, but health can be measured in so many ways.
- Don’t diet! Diets don’t work, they will slow your metabolism and make losing weight even more difficult. Eat healthy and exercise. Practice moderation.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone! You are unique! Only compare you to YOU!