Here are seven effective exercises that can help step up weight loss and also in strengthening and toning the core and other parts of the body.
- Have a rowing machine handy, either at home or at your gym.
- Sit down and strap your legs to the footholds of the machine.
- Once your feet are secured firmly, grab the handle.
- Start to pull the handle towards you in strong, rapid motions.
- Keep the spine straight as well as shoulders down and chest out.
- Engage the back and ab muscles when you pull the handle towards yourself.
- Stop when elbows are behind the body and squeeze the shoulders.
- Do not lean back.
- Return the handle to start position and begin again.
Number of Repetitions: It is best to continue rowing for a fixed timeline such as ten minutes. Do as many repetitions in between and take short breaks.
How it Benefits: Rowing is a beneficial exercise for engaging the upper body and core region. You will feel weight loss in this region as well as be able to lose about 200 to 300 calories in a 30-minute session.
2. Rope Jumping
How to do?
- Start by having a skipping rope handy.
- Hold each handle firmly.
- Flip the rope at the back over the head before you begin.
- Start by hopping at a slow pace as you jump the rope.
- After 25 jumps are completed, increase the speed.
- Jump rope about 50 times.
- Take a break for a few seconds before you begin again.
- When jumping try to fold legs and bring heels towards the hips.
Number of Repetitions: This can be at least 50 times and three sets can be done with short breaks in between.
How it Benefits: This is an effective cardio exercise. It helps to jumps start the heart and increase concentration as you jump over the rope. The lower body is engaged and fat loss happens throughout, especially in core and thigh areas.
3. High-Intensity Interval Trainin
How to do?
- This can be a set of exercises of high intensity and done in short spurts.
- Choose a number of exercises to alternate such as jumping squats, lunges with jumps, step jumps, burpees, and high knees.
- You can start with each exercise and do ten repetitions each before moving onto the next without a break.
- After a complete set of each exercise done, one can take a break of 10 seconds after which they can repeat the same sets again.
Number of Repetitions: The exercises can be done of 10 counts each and three to four exercises combined. Three sets should be completed with short breaks in between.
How it Benefits: High-intensity interval training is designed to help elevate the heart rate and burn fat in a fast manner. It also helps to tone muscles and strengthen the core region, increasing strength and fitness at the same time. Those who have a small amount of time to work out and wish to see results fast can opt for high-intensity interval training. A session of 30 minutes will help one to burn about 500 calories.
How to do?
- Take swimming lessons and pick up freestyle and other techniques.
- Warm up before you start a swimming session.
- When in water take a few deep breaths underwater to warm up the body.
- Start by freestyle strokes, slow and strong.
- Continue with laps in freestyle strokes or other techniques like backstroke or breaststroke.
- Combine the different techniques.
Number of Repetitions: Do at least ten freestyle strokes and combine the same with others to complete 10 to 15 laps. Minimum time spent in water should be 30 minutes.
How it Benefits: A swim session for about an hour helps to burn about 500 to 700 calories.
How to do?
- Have a stationary cycle or gear bike handy.
- Start by doing light warm-ups, especially of your calves and legs.
- Start to pedal at a comfortable speed.
- After a minute of pedaling, you can increase the speed to feel the fat burn in the thigh area.
- Continue pedaling for three minutes before taking a short break or slowing down.
- After slowing down for a minute continue on high-speed biking for another 3-5 minutes.
Number of Repetitions: This exercise can be done for 10 to 15 minutes.
How it Benefits: Cycling is an effective way to lose weight and tone the leg muscles. You would also be working the core as you cycle. It helps to build the heart rate and is an effective cardio exercise. With a 15 minute session, you can expect to lose 200 calories. To make it intense it is best to increase resistance levels in the bikes.
6. Kettle Bells
How to do?
- Start by finding a set of kettle bells of the right weight for yourself.
- Holding them a number of cardio or strength training exercises can be done.
- Start by lunges, holding the kettle bells by your side.
- These can be brought up and down to do toning of the arms.
- Holding the kettle bells one can also do squats.
- Kettle bell lifts with plié squats is another effective exercise for the arms and core.
Number of Repetitions: One can combine these exercises, 10 repetitions each and make a set. Take a short break in between and continue to do three sets in total of three to four exercises each.
How it Benefits: Kettle bells are designed to help add resistance to different exercises. Squats, lunges, lifts and simple walks can become more effective when done with kettle bells. These can also help in working the arm muscles. A total session of 30 minutes with kettle bells will help one to lose about 400 calories.
7. Stair Climber
How to do?
- Stair climber machines are now found in the gyms, or else use a staircase for this exercise.
- Start by climbing up and walking each step.
- Next climb every other step.
- Variety with lateral lunges and forward lunges.
- End the sets by running up and down.
- Take a short break and repeat the routine again.
Number of Repetitions: You can climb at least twenty stairs and vary your movements. Take a 10-second break in between each set and complete 4-5 sets.